Saturday, April 9, 2011

I got a weird phone call last night!

Out of the clear blue, our FIRST mom to ever live at MLH called me. After saying "long time no see", she asked me how many moms were at MLH. I told her 3 or 4. She asked me if we could take one more. I joked and said "who you?" she said "I am pregnant." I about died!! then she realized the dramatic pause was not funny and said "NO NO NO I am just joking!" I reminded her that I was not young and that jokes like that are not funny.
She went on to say that her older sister was pregnant though. *sigh* I know this sister a bit. She has had probably about 4 or 5 abortions. She has had a very "interesting" life shall we say. She was told by so  many that she would never be able to have a baby because of her lifestyle and numerous abortions. So, this time, at 21yr old and now pregnant, she feels "I have to have this baby." I asked about the boyfriend. "He is not one that can be counted on." I plain out told her "you all are going to put your momma in an early grave!" I was half rebuking half joking.
Their family is dysfunctional. Parents divorced, but living together. Her 7th grade brother was all but thrown in jail for sexual harrassment, so you can imagine the attitude from him. Thankfully, Patty is back in school and studying. We keep up with her. For that I am so thankful.
Patty came to us at age 15yr old. She had already had a forced abortion and was determined to deliver this baby. She was our first mom, with almost nothing there at the home. I was the counselor, only staff (for baby and mommas) for most of the time she was there. She turned 16yr old right before her birthday. We had her first ever birthday party for her. We have seen her on and off. If she sees us out in public, she will come running up to us and chat. She is as sweety. Her parents though forced her to keep the baby as a reminder of "what she did" and so it won't happen again.
Now this. I told her that we have rules! Church is required! No running off and all....she says she knows and she told her sister all about it. She said something that made me kinda want to cry "I told her that if anyone can help her, Shr Mu (that's me in Chinese) can help." I am thankful that through the fusses (think hormonal teen girl!)and fun she can still think of us and what help we can give. PRAISE GOD!!
Her sister might come to church tomorrow and talk with me. But, we are starting to think "post abortion syndrome"classes are going to be important in our work now. Pray Pray Pray that we can help this mom, whether she keeps baby or not. She can stay with us, we can work with her. She is having many emotional issues right now, as expected when a post abortion woman is pregnant again, no matter how many times.

We may need a supporter for her. Again, I will let you know, but $175/month is the amount needed for a mom. This is really half of what it costs, but we are working with AGCI to keep support coming. AGCI is very supportive of the ministry to women in crisis here.

Please pray. I hope I can let you all know tomorrow what happens!

2 comments:

Tonya Day said...

Oh my goodness. I remember Patty. (I also remember you had such a special bond with her--and I remember you telling me how difficult her life has been).

She was there when I traveled for Janie...in fact, she was in the room when Janie was handed to me--I remember her tears at that moment. She was so special, so sweet, so kind. I remember wanting to have her jump on a plane and come to America with us. Such a wonderful young lady. I am glad to hear she is in school. I pray her baby is doing well. And I pray for her sister!!

4taiwan said...

Tonya, yes, Patty helped with Harrison, Carson (independent case) and Janie. For the first 4 months it was her and I with another mom or two. I was more of a big sister to Patty. She was so interested in seeing how adoptive families were towards babies when they picked them up. She was touched